Saturday, February 25, 2023

Research: Representation

 Representation

Representation is how the film maker chooses to portray reality. This can be in gender, race, sexuality, etc. It is very important for films to have representation because an accurate portrayal of society is needed. Also, the audience can connect with what is being represented. In this blog, I will be talking about how I will use representation in my film.


Researching

First, I had to get an understanding of what representation really is. This is why I took notes on it, while getting a feel of what it means.


Shown above is my notes I took on representation, titled "Representation in the Media."


Women

In many horror films, women are represented as weak, being hunted by the killer. Many films portray the women to be blonde to fit the stereotype that they are not intelligent. 



Shown above is the woman in Psycho (1960) acting weak.

On the other hand, I can also represent women in society today that are fighting for equal rights. I can make the woman in the film a strong character that fights off the villain. This represents the feminism that is in the world today.



Shown above is the woman in Jennifer's Body (2009) represented as strong.



My group and I will decide on how we will portray women, but no matter what, we will have women representation.


Resources

Representation of Women in Horror Films. (2011, April 3). Screampsychohorror. https://screampsychohorror.wordpress.com/representation-of-women-in-horror-films/

Representation in Film. (2021, November 6). FemLENS. https://femlens.com/blog-post/representation-in-film/

Representation Matters. (n.d.). Teaching Assistants’ Training Program. https://tatp.utoronto.ca/teaching-toolkit/equity-diversity-and-inclusion/representation-matters/#:~:text=Why%20is%20representation%20important%3F




No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

 Creative Critical Reflection Well, this is the end. This journey has been amazing and I am glad you could see every part of the hard-workin...